Monday, November 03, 2008

My Last Minute Plugs

With voting commencing tomorrow, I figured I still had a little time left for persuasion. I typically leave my political opinion off our blog, but this election feels too important to say nothing.

First on my list, Proposition 8.

I think that the most important thing on the table this November is Proposition 8. I am not a resident of California, so I cannot vote on this issue, but I can voice my opinion to those who can vote there. So, please, please, please vote 'yes' on Proposition 8.

And those who are ignorant enough to think this won't affect the entire nation are sorely mistaken. The outcome of this vote will effect all of us. (You, your children, grandchildren and all of society.) Once a law is enacted in one state it can be used in legislation and/or as leverage in a lawsuit in other states. The impact of this not passing is scary for me to think about.

This video highlights the main points of the proposition and is kind of cute too, so I hope you'll take a couple minutes to watch it.



The other thing I have avoided thus far, but also feel strongly about, is our choices for presidential candidates. The strong possibility that Barack Obama will become our next president is a frightening concept to me. I'm not saying I really care for John McCain either though. All I know is that Obama has far too many socialist ideas for me to be comfortable entrusting him with my vote of confidence.

I was born and raised in a capitalism-minded home in a capitalism-based nation. I whole-heartedly believe that the principles of independence and self-reliance are what grant us true freedom. The role of government is not to ensure everyone gets equality. The role of government is to provide us with the liberties in the constitution are granted fairly...fairly, not equally.

Obama seems to think otherwise and frankly, I want no part in it. His philosophies seem strikingly similar to someone else we are warned against in the scriptures and from modern-day prophets...Satan. In 2 Nephi 28:21 we are told, "And others will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell." I see this happening, do you? Satan is subtle and cunning...so is Obama. Sweet words and promises of bright days ahead sound great, but they are spoken to lead us away into "carnal security" and truly are leading us (as a nation) "carefully down to hell".

Here's yet another video, this one with words from Presidents Thomas S. Monson, Ezra Taft Benson and Gordon B. Hinckley. It is a warning for our time. Pay particular attention to what President Benson has to say about socialism in our time.



So, I beg you, when you go out to vote, consider these things and make a wise choice.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Nicely put.

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Wow. That was nicely put. Well done, Haylee. I'm actually quite nervous for tomorrow, too. I really can't fathom what will happen if Obama is elected. It scares me.

Jen said...

Good job, Haylee.

Love,
Cousin Jen