I've always found phrases like Pro-Choice and Pro-Life to be interesting. Leave it to political correctness to make good things seem bad and vice versa. For the record, I'm Pro-Life, which if you think about it would technically make me Anti-Choice, wouldn't it? But nobody in our PC minded culture would admit that. Good thing too because I'm not Anti-Choice, I just feel that the choice has already happened. A baby coming is the obvious consequence of such a choice, and that is a consequence that should remain, regardless of what anyone says about other choices.
But really, this is all beside the point. What I really mean to talk about is Christmas in all it's commercialized glory.
I am NOT Anti-Christmas; I'm Pro-Thanksgiving.
You see, every year, immediately following Halloween, I see people all over decorating their homes...for Christmas. I see lights not just up on the roofs, but blazing brightly night after night. Some neighbors have their indoor decor up and ready to go even. And, I suppose this is their right, but, if I'm not mistaken, there is a holiday smooshed somewhere in between Halloween and Christmas. What was it again?....
Ahh, yes. I remember now...I believe it's called Thanksgiving!
I love Thanksgiving. I love the family time, the food (mainly pie), the break from school, the pie, Black Friday shopping, playing games and wasting time, oh and did I mention I love pie? It truly is a grand holiday. But even more than these superficial traditions, I love that it is a time to pause our lives, reflect on our many blessings and show gratitude to our Father in Heaven by remembering these things.
So, while I may love Christmas, (I really do. But it has its own time and place.) I try my best to remember this often forgotten holiday too.
No comments:
Post a Comment