Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Today Was Not the Best Day Ever

It wasn't the worst either. It was just one of "those" days. Ya know, the kind where things just don't seem to be working in your favor?

So it started out this morning with me not having my schoolwork entirely finished. This goes against my nature completely, but it does happen on a rare occasion, so I can handle it every now and then. I figured it would be no big deal, because usually it isn't. I knew I'd have a couple minutes to scramble everything together and was hoping that would be good enough until I could review the material in greater depth later. Then Owen brought it to my attention that the car was very nearly out of fuel. Oh, joy! Now I get to stop for gas before the lovely commute to Rexburg! There goes those extra minutes I was counting on for my homework. (If you didn't catch my sarcasm there, I wasn't entirely thrilled about the situation...and I'm pretty sure that until today I had avoided pumping gas for my entire married life making the task all the more enjoyable -- sarcasm again).

I left the house a little grumpier than planned, but was still in mostly good spirits. I filled the tank and then cranked up my music so I could sing along (and yes, it was Hanson -- it always makes me happy). I got to class and lo and behold, I had forgotten some other assignments. Meanwhile, I'm thinking Well, I guess I'll just ADD those to the list of homework I already had...I'm only three days in and already behind...this is not a good way to start the semester!

I made it through the rest of school, got home and everything was clean!! I have the best house-husband ever! This definitely brightened my day, but I still had a pile of schoolwork looming over my head, not to mention being tired after Miriam's almost-all-nighter last night. So I decided a nap was a good idea. :) I figured I could do it after Owen went to work (5 p.m.) and Miriam to bed (around 6). That would leave me a quiet and uninterrupted evening. Well, as Murphey's Law would have it, something went wrong with my plan.

Right before I was about to give Miriam her bedtime bath she threw up. A lot. It was gross, but mostly contained, so I just cleaned it up and then proceded with the bath and bedtime routine. I figured all was well, but boy was I wrong! As I was snuggling in the rocking chair with her it happened again. This time more and all over me. And since she now eats real food (as opposed to a 100% mama's-milk diet) it stunk too! I about lost it myself. By this time, I'm less worried about getting her to bed and more worried about her becoming dehydrated. So, I got her a couple teaspoons of tasty Pedialyte and laid her on top of a bunch of towels so she could watch Signing Time until she stopped throwing up (I don't normally let her watch TV much, but I'm a sucker for a sick kid).

She's finally asleep and I have yet to even pull my homework out, but that's okay...it'll get done. I'm just happy that my baby is feeling better. Things are looking up!

So, to make light of today's bumps in the road, I figured some comedy relief was in order.

No comments: