This morning as I was browsing through my many Google Reader subscriptions, this post from Makes and Takes caught my eye. A five minute cake?! Made in the microwave?!! Are you serious?!!! I was skeptical, to put it lightly. Naturally, I shared the crazy idea with Owen. He thought it was cockamamy too, but we had to try it out before completely throwing out the possibility. So, at 8:30 a.m. we made cake. In the microwave. In less than five minutes. And it actually turned out pretty good. It's no five star, gourmet recipe. But it is fast, and it's chocolate. So, if you're looking for a fun science experiment to do with your toddler or you just need a quick chocolate fix and don't want to dirty up the whole kitchen making a dessert...try this out. I bet it will surprise you.
How is it done? Let's have a little walk through, why don't we?
You will need:
4 Tablespoons cake flour (although we used regular all-purpose flour and it was still fine)
4 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons milk
3 Tablespoons oil
1 Mug
Mix flour, sugar and cocoa
4 comments:
I make cakes in the microwave all the time. I use a certain Tupperware container that is for micro cooking and holds the ingredients. Then I mix one box of cake mix and a can of soda pop and eight minutes later you have a full size cake.
Hey, I am definatey going to try these Haylee. Sounds way good. Do you and Melodee still get together? Are you in elementary education? Have you done your student teaching yet. Roberta
hey i will try this! Mmmm...I dont' think I know Heather Hamm. Am I suppose to know her and I just can't remember? Let me know. I looked at her blog but I really make out who she is.
Melodee -
We have a micro cooker too, but I think ours is Pampered Chef. I don't know that we've ever used it. I'll have to try it with a cake mix; I bet it's perfect for big cakes. I like the mug recipe because it makes about a small portion...perfect for those little cravings when you don't want any leftovers :) And it's from scratch -- I'm big on that these days.
Roberta -
I am in elementary education and I'm currently in my senior practicum. I will do my student teaching next semester, during the winter...I can't wait to be finished!! As for getting together with Melodee...I think it's been awhile since we've seen one another in person. But, we both blog, so at least we still stay in touch!
Mariana -
If you do know Heather, I imagine it would be from University Village. That's where Owen and I met the Hamms. If you don't know Heather -- she's great!! She's an adorable little mama, with adorable kids and ideas...so you should get to know her across the blogosphere anyhow. :)
Post a Comment