
When I look at this picture I see two things:
- Owen is actually reading
- It isn't Harry Potter
When Owen and I were married, he had never read a novel cover to cover. That didn't stop me though; I'm always up for a challenge. And I was determined to make a reader out of him. So, I started with something that seems to catch 'em all...Harry Potter. He read The Sorcerer's Stone and was quickly reeled in. After that he breezed through the next five and anxiously awaited the release of The Deathly Hallows with the rest of the world.
Once "Book Seven" came out, he read it and I then I figured we'd be on to bigger and better things....Wrong-o, bong-o. He just wasn't ready to move on, so he started over. That's right. He went right back to "Book One" and started re-reading (or rather, listening to) all seven Harry Potter novels. And again. And then he started skipping around within the series and reading only his favorites. Throughout all of this I am reading and recommending new books, and eventually poking and prodding in hopes of getting him to branch out some.
Then one day, earlier this summer, my sister, Heidi, brought over the book that would finally (although not immediately) break the Potter-streak...
Fablehaven. All summer long it has been on Owen's nightstand; waiting and hoping that someday he'd pick it up to read. A while back he started a chapter or two in it, but was still stuck on Harry, so it stayed on the nightstand. But I guess a couple days ago he decided it was time for something new and he picked it up again.
Now, during all his empty minutes, he has been reading and reading and reading. I don't think he's even had the TV on!! He's so into this Fablehaven book that he's even pushing me to read it!! (And I will...but currently I have 40+ hours of textbook reading a week that seem to be consuming all my waking hours).
And so, it
could be...caution folks, there's a new reader on the loose!
1 comment:
My non-reading hubby went from the Potter series to the Eragon series. He really liked those. (Warning movie is horrible, nothing like the book). So once you've devoured Fablehaven, Owen, give the Eragon series a try. It is great.
Post a Comment