Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Change of Scenery

A couple weeks ago the ward executive secretary called me to say the bishop needed to speak with me. We set up an appointment for the next day, leaving me all night and the following morning to ponder the occasion. I immediately knew I would be released and a new calling was likely in the picture as well. So I started speculating.
Ward choir director...hmm, I'd rather not, but I'll commit no matter what the calling is.

Relief society teacher...that wouldn't be so bad; I would probably enjoy that after the first or second go-'round.

Primary teacher...Owen's been needing a new partner for the last, oh, five months or so, when his partner was called to be the new bishop...I wouldn't mind being in a class with him; that could be fun!

Maybe Sunday school teacher...ooh, I hope NOT!! I think that's the scariest calling I could ever get called to! Okay, maybe not the scariest, but it'd come close.

Well, since I have no idea, I'm banking on R.S. teacher. Yup, that sounds good to me.
I went to my interview, and boy, was I wrong!! And even though I wasn't expecting it at all, I'm happy to announce that I am our ward's new nursery leader! Yay for little ones! I actually love, love, love being in nursery (unlike the vast majority of adults in the LDS church who, for some reason, just don't like it). Sure, you miss out on some adult interaction and maybe a spiritual experience, or two....but you get toys and tantrums and snacks and singing and lots of other good things that only come with small children. It can be surprisingly inspirational at times too, even with only a three minute lesson. Most people just aren't looking for such instances, so they miss it altogether.

In other church changes, we are now on the eleven o'clock block schedule (Our stake is odd and switches the times the first week in September to coincide with the school year -- last week was stake conference, so the first day was today). We've been on the miserable one to four church time, and that is just too late in the day for me. I love having church at eleven...early enough to still get a nap if I want/need one, but not so early that I've got to get up at o'dark thirty just to be there on time...so this was a welcome change!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

And you get to use the new nursery manual! How fabulous! I just spoke at a stake primary training meeting last week and the other guest speaker spoke of how much fun nursery can be! She even suggested bringing in little sand and water tables (on different days). How fun!

Jeff, Nancy and Nathan said...

Hey you! I'm glad you were able to find my blog. I have been really busy and this is the first time in a very long long time that i have been able to check the blogs. Talk to you later.