Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Hospital Stay

After Liesl's super speedy exam room birth, there was no need to move into a labor room so the nurse just moved us over to recovery.  I felt pretty amazing right from the get go so we called my mom so she and Miriam could come up and visit.  

While they were at the hospital, Liesl got her first bath.  She wasn't a fan but she has since warmed up to the idea.

 
 
My mom took our first picture as a family of four.
And then Owen got some pictures of me with my girls before my mom took Miriam down to her house for the next two days.
It was really fun to have my mom and Miriam visit in the morning.  We had the rest of the morning and afternoon to ourselves before people started coming again around four.  During our visitor lull, I took a shower and made myself all beautiful (and then forgot to get any pictures like that!!), Liesl had her hearing tested and we attempted a nap but Owen and I were both too wound up and full of adrenaline to sleep.  Oh well, we had fun chatting the day away without Miriam interrupting for crackers or whatever else. 

Owen went with the hearing specialist during Liesl's hearing test and I'm really glad he did!  She was having a hard time getting the sensors to stay put on Liesl's head because of all her beautiful hair.  She said when that happens they have to shave the hair away so they can do the test.  Owen's reply was something like, "You won't be shaving my baby!  Forget that idea!"  The nurse got the picture and figured out a way to make it work.  :)
We forgot to take pictures of all our other visitors from the evening, but I know some exist because my brother, Kurt, took some while they were there.  We loved having so many friends and family come to see us.  My visiting teacher, Katie Williams and her temporary partner, Tiffany Sorensen came first followed by my sister, Heidi, and her girls, Amber and Brianna.  Then my friend, Nikki came and she even brought us dinner.  We had already eaten the hospital's "special" steak and shrimp dinner that they give to maternity patients and spouses, so we saved it for lunch the next day.  Good thing too!  Who thinks about lunch for when they get home from the hospital?!  Apparently not us.  My brothers, Kurt and Jeremy both showed up with their families at the same time.  We had quite the crowd in our room!  Then they left and we were all to ourselves again for the rest of our hospital stay.  

1 comment:

Ashley said...

sorry I didn't come visit. I was afraid to give you germs. =) That is hilarious about what your husband said about shaving her head! I'm so glad he did! haha. You both are the best! We should hang out more. We like you a lot.

ps, thanks again for using a cross walk! haha. I HATE jaywalkers! =) Except if it's little liesl, she can do whatever she likes. =)