Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Gratitude Challenge - Day 8

10 Modern Inventions You are Grateful for:

1. Music Listening Devices - I love, love, love to listen to music and I can't imagine how sad my life would be without the ability to do this.  I can listen to the radio, to CDs and mp3 files, directly from the internet and even on my TV (and we don't even have cable!).  Music is so readily available these days and I love it...although there is definitely some trashy music I could do without.

2. Plumbing - It is a good thing I was born during this time period of the world.  I would be a wreck without showers and flush toilets and all the other great things that come by having running water.

3. Water Heaters - As great as having a shower is, it would really stink if they were all cold showers.  Owen experienced that almost his entire mission and I think I would almost rather go without a shower than have a cold one every day.  So, I'm grateful for hot water and you should probably be grateful for it too, because you don't want to smell me when I haven't showered in a few days.

4. Heat - I am a total wimp when it comes to my body temperature not feeling just right.  I don't like to be cold at all.

5. Air Conditioning and Ceiling Fans - As much as I dislike being cold, I don't like being hot either.  It may take a good 75+ degrees for me to actually call a house hot inside, but once it gets to that point, I am grateful for AC.  Owen and I spent our first summer married without AC and I remember our 3rd floor apartment regularly reaching 90+ degrees, and all our windows were North/South facing.  Last summer our apartment was East/West facing and even with our AC unit cranking we still got up to 80 degrees on occasion.  I was very grateful for AC then and I'm sure I will be grateful for air conditioning more than even for my first full summer in North Carolina.

6. Cars and Good Roadways - I can't even imagine life without cars.  I think it would take me all day to get to and from the nearest grocery store if I had to walk and a good couple hours on bike.  And the grocery store is one of the closer destinations to our house.  Church would be really hard to travel to without a car, so I'm grateful I don't have to.

7. Airplanes - Without airplanes, it is a lot less likely Owen and I would have ever gone to the same University.  On the off-chance we still had (maybe he would have made it by train?) visiting our families would be a rarity for sure.  So I'm grateful for airplanes bringing Owen and I together and grateful that because of them we can continue to see our families.

8. Household Appliances (Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher, Refrigerator, Stove/Oven, etc.) - My life is so much easier because of all of these.

9. Phones - I have always been far away from someone I love.  I grew up with both sets of grandparents far away and the phone was always the way we talked because the internet was unheard of back then still.  When I was younger the telephone was our only option.  Phones have have changed and improved so much since then and now I can call family and friends while I am out running errands or doing whatever.  Plus, with cell phones I can call long distance and have it be no different than any other call I make.  Sure beats crazy high long distance bills or using those pre-paid long distance calling cards (remember those? -- they probably still exist, but I don't use them anymore).

10. Computers and Internet - Wow, have these changed how we live!  My kids are going to grow up in a crazy computer-filled world.  Miriam already knows how to do a million things on the computer and on Owen's smart-phone.  Little kids soak up all the technology so fast!  It really is a good thing, although it can be quite dangerous, and I am grateful for all the benefits of computers and the internet.

No comments: