Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gratitude Challenge - Day 5

10 Things About Nature You are Grateful for:

1. Sunsets - Idaho has some of the most beautiful sunsets ever.  Seriously.  I've been told the latitude has something to do with it.  Also, it's always windy there, so the debris always floating throughout the atmosphere makes more vibrant colors.  I'm sure it doesn't hurt that it's wide open there too so you can actually see the sky.  Oh, I miss my Idaho sunsets.

2. Seasons - I love autumn and usually tell people it's my favorite, and it is.  But when spring comes around I love it too.  And although I don't say I love winter or summer, there really is a lot to love about both.  They both hold my favorite holidays (Independence Day and Christmas), so I'm sure that helps.  Really though, I just love that it changes and that the earth renews itself.  There is something to love from every season of the earth.

3. Mountains - I love me some big Rocky Mountains.  I grew up in the Snake River Plain where you are nearly surrounded on all sides by the Rockies.  They aren't super close but an hour drive gets you so near the Tetons you feel like you could throw a rock and hit them.  You can't really; they are still VERY far away, but it is such a fun illusion that I always want to try anyway.


4. Clouds - Do you remember lying on your back in the grass or on the trampoline watching the cloud float by and arguing with your friends about which was what shape?  Maybe that was just my childhood, but we definitely had a unique neighborhood.  I loved looking for cloud shapes then and I still love it now when I stop long enough to look.

5. Trees - Even before I met Owen, I always had a thing for the east coast.  I loved looking at pictures or watching movies set back east because there were so many trees!  It was almost magical how many there were.  I still love all the trees and I am grateful for their beauty throughout the seasons.

6. Flowers - Oh, I love flowers.  My mom has a pretty good green thumb and growing up we had tulips and roses in our yard.  I loved the roses.  When my parents built their new house my mom left the higher maintenance type roses out of her yard plans but she now has daffodils, irises, dahlias, poppies, daisies and all sorts of other wild flowers along with the tulips.  She plants lots of annuals every year too and I love all the color and variety.  My oldest, sister, has caught my parent's gardening bug and her yard is so fun to walk through now too.  She has mums and primoses and probably 15+ more that I can't think of or remember the names to, and she knows each of their names and sunlight requirements and she just keeps a beautiful flower garden.

cherry blossoms in my mom's yard.

7. Rain - I love rain.  I don't love driving in it; that scares the daylights out of me.  But I love the pitter-patter, I love the smell, I love the colors and sights it brings and I even love the storms (when they aren't interrupting my sleep - I have no idea how Owen can sleep through the crazy loud thunder).  Best of all about rain...puddle jumping.  My friends and I used to go to a part of our neighborhood that would flood every time it rained and go wade through the nasty water and jump and splash.  Now, with little ones of my own, I love watching them gravitate to every little spot of standing water just to jump into it.  Not to mention, where else would we get rainbows?

8. Gardens - I've already mentioned that my mom and sister have some mad gardening skills, but it doesn't just stop at flowers.  They both grow amazing vegetable (and some fruits) gardens every summer.  My dad and my brother-in-law, Kelly, both get involved with this endeavor too.  It really is a family project and we all enjoy the fruits of our their labors, namely tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, cucumbers, corn, carrots, onions, bell peppers, radishes, peas.  Oh yum, is it garden season yet?  I could really go for a good garden-grown tomato.

9. Snow - Yes, you read that right.  I am grateful for snow.  I probably wouldn't be so grateful for this if I were still in Idaho right now, but I'm not so I'm slightly missing the snow and the probability of a white Christmas.  Snow really can be fun though.  I learned to ski when I was 14 and I loved it.  I haven't been at all since Owen and I got married because it is ex.pen.sive. but hopefully one day I will get out in the powder again and maybe even teach Owen!  Plus, sledding and snow angels and snow ball fight and forts.  I remember doing all of those every winter as a child.  So, although I'm sure I would curse it if I was in it now, I am grateful for it and slightly wish I could see a flake or two.

Miriam making snow angels at Grandma's - January 2011
Liesl all bundled up and plopped in the snow - January 2011

10. Wind - Again, I know it sounds crazy, but I've come to appreciate wind a little more now that I'm not bombarded with it daily.  Wind really can be refreshing though and it certainly is to our earth.  It is a necessary part of nature and I am grateful for it.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I like this list. I also miss the wind. It is strange how many days go by without wind here. Just strange.

cself said...

Snow?!? What is that, there is not any of that around here... okay, maybe a slight bit in the areas that never see sunlight. I am missing the snow too!!!