Sunday, October 05, 2008

I Heard Exactly What I Needed

Ahh *sigh of joy and relief*...there's nothing quite like the rejuvenation of General Conference! The Spirit spoke directly to me and I heard a few little whisperings that were very needed. I gathered a few main points that I need to improve in my life, but overall the talk that touched me most was President Monson's talk from Sunday morning session. Here are two quotes that I found especially poignant from this talk:

"...be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon."

"Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances; we must deal with them the best we can, but we should not let them get in the way of what is most important. And what is most important almost always involves the people around us."

I hope you enjoyed conference as much as I did. It was so refreshing to hear from our living prophet, Thomas S. Monson and the apostles. God truly does speak through them and I am grateful He does!

Here's my list of insights I gathered and plan to implement in my life over the next six months (until the next session of General Conference when I find new areas to improve upon).
  • I'm going to spend more time being a better wife and mother...even if this means that my housework and schoolwork will suffer some. I can't go back and change my time with my family, so they are more important.
  • I'm going to go to bed earlier so that I can wake up earlier. I may not be a morning person, but I always find that I am quite productive when I wake up with specific things to get accomplished. This is especially true when I'm the only one up. When I try to do things at night, I end up tinkering around and doing nothing or very little.
  • I'm going to be more grateful, including saying more prayers of gratitude only. I really am blessed and need to be better about showing my Heavenly Father that I am aware and thankful for everything in my life.
  • I'm going to seek to help others. I surely am not so busy that I can't stop to serve my friends, neighbors and those who I may not know, but who may also benefit from something simple I can do.
  • I am going to build unity with others by speaking more kind words and gossiping less.
So, my friends, what touched you? What are you going to change in your life? How do you plan to become more like our Savior?

No comments: