Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Apples Are in the Sauce

During the second half of the morning session today, I had my very first canning experience. Someone gave my sister a truck load of apples (seriously, there's enough to make a year's supply of applesauce...for every sibling in my family...and their spouses and children...and possibly their neighbors too) so she asked if I wanted some applesauce. Of course I want some applesauce!! (What kind of question is that anyway?...I can't go eating full-fat brownies all the time, now can I? Well, maybe I could...but then I'd probably need to cut my brownie consumption down by at least half. And based on my current stress-level and emotional state, *see previous post* I need all the brownies I can get.)

Anyway, back to the real topic of discussion -- canning. We made did make applesauce from those apples (some of them -- there's still a good minivan load left, or so) and boy, is it yummy!


It was fun too! Now I feel a little more comfortable with the canning process (applesauce only, there's no way I'm ready to tackle green beans...I'm paranoid of botulism) although, I doubt I could do it on my own. Not without my sister on the phone to tell me what to do along the way, at least. So, in the meantime I'll stick with her and maybe one day venture out on my own into the great world of food preservation.


1 comment:

homeschooling Mama said...

I am right with you on the "thank goodness it's conference weekend." I too, felt like I was running on empty. But, look at you! You canned your own applesauce! You are amazing!