Friday, December 31, 2010

Miriam Turns Three!

We threw Miriam's first friend-invited birthday party this year.  So, of course, I went all out!

I had big dreams and lots to accomplish because of it.  Luckily, my friend, Heather, came to my rescue and pretty much made the entire birthday banner I had planned.  I think I glued a piece or two and helped hang it up!


I made my first fondant cake and my perfectionist self was actually pleased with the results.  Professional? No.  But pretty good for my first one!  


I was so worried that it would be a huge flop, but I also know that crafty stuff is my forte and I can usually make my creations appear decent despite first-times and other hiccups along the way.  The biggest hiccup with the cake was remaking the bow a second time after Miriam decided she wanted to eat the first one!  I was actually not upset although dad was not impressed when she pulled that one.  My first thought was , "Well, the first one wasn't very good anyway!  Now I can make a better one!"

For invited friends, we were following the family rule of inviting as many friends as years old the birthday person is turning.  So Miriam could invite three but I allowed four because she wanted her cousin Cassie to come and we didn't want little sister Katie to be left out.  Some other adult friends and family were invited too so the final guest list was: Grandpa, Grandma, "Uncle" Mike, "Aunt" Heather, cousin Cassie, cousin Katie, Aunt Tara, Hailey (and Dani - her mom), Elise (and Carolyn and Michael - her mom and brother), and Mom, Dad and Liesl, of course.  It was full house, but we made it work!

We started with a couple games.  The party theme was Minnie Mouse, so we the mice hunt for cheese to earn their Minnie ears.  

 

Then we had a dance-off doing the "Hot Dog Dance" from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  


Then we sang to Miriam.  She blew her candles out and made a wish.  She doesn't really understand wishing yet, but she said she made one.  Funny girl!  And we ate cake.  It was dry.  Bummer.  


She opened her presents and boy was she spoiled this year.  



And then we sent everybody home!  But Owen and I were so exhausted by the end that neither of us wanted to make lunch, so we let Miriam pick a place....McDonald's, of course!

4 comments:

Lara Zierke said...

The cake is so cute. Miriam is so cute. So I have to ask...how did the fondant taste? I think fondant cakes are so attractive, but I have heard it tastes yucky.

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Cute! I wish we lived closer so our girls could play together.

McKayla chose a Tinkerbell theme so I have to figure out how to go about that one!

Miss you!

Danielle Bateman said...

Love the pictures- and the fondant was so good!!! It was such a cute Party and Hailey had a blast :) Thanks for inviting us.

Moe said...

What a cute party, you're a super mom!