Where I grew up, it's customary to take gifts to your neighbors. Not just a select group of special people, but pretty much everybody. Often the gift is some sort of treat.
I always thought this was something everyone everywhere did. Naive, sure. Then one Christmas, Owen set me straight. Apparently, it's more of a Mormon-bubble thing. Figures.
Anyway, since I was craving a few of my family's traditional goodies anyway, I decided to make up plates for my neighbors with a little bit of everything on them: fudge, divinity and sugar cookies (which aren't really a favorite of mine, but I wanted Miriam to get a chance to sprinkle the tops of the cookies like I remember my mom always doing with my siblings and me around Christmas). I was hoping to get truffles done too, but I just didn't have time. I was glad I had opted out of that one by the time I finished the plates and was wondering what I was thinking making goodie-plates at all.
I let Miriam help cut out cookies and put sprinkles on. She played in the sprinkles and ate the sprinkles and licked the sprinkles bottle. Maybe that's why by the end I thought it was a dumb idea. But really, she was pretty good for an almost three-year-old.
Really I probably ended up thinking it was a dumb idea because I had to deliver the cookies in the brr-freezing-cold. I had the plates sitting on my table for a few days before I actually dragged myself out in the cold (with Owen and the kids too) to do it. Either way, I'm sure I will forget by next year and I'll do all over again. It's a fun tradition and makes for good memories!




5 comments:
We don't live in a Mormon bubble and we do it! But not all of our neighbors do. In fact, I think the first couple of years we lived in our house, they thought we were crazy. But now some of them bring us goodies too. I just decided I wanted to live in that kind of neighborborhood, whether they wanted to or not. :)
We are grateful that you braved it... cold weather and baking with a young one, the treats were yummy! Plus it is so much fun building memories and traditions with our kids!
I'm glad you made Christmas cookies with Miri. I kept thinking about it, and thinking about it, and thinking about it.. and never got to it.
I think next year I'll definitely do those and do a gingerbread house with McKayla.
Looks like you figured out the photobucket thing, right? load them on to photobucket and use the html code in your blog. If you still have questions, ask!
Love the post and we loved the goodies, I'm glad you kept up with the tradition! Thanks for being our neighbor.
The treats were so yummy, thanks for thinking of us!
Post a Comment