Friday, April 17, 2009

Two Stories

Miriam is still the sweetest little girl I've met, and everywhere we go she seems to charm anyone we meet. The following stories are two adorable excerpts that I don't want to forget about my angel child.

Story One
[Setting - Immediately following my graduation's convocation ceremony where Elder Neil L. Anderson spoke, Linda and I went to the restroom while the men waited with Miriam in the hallway.]

When Elder Anderson came out of the chapel, he saw Miriam and commented to Owen about how pretty she is.
Miriam, matter-of-factly replied with a smile and her cute little "Hi!"
Elder Anderson was so charmed that he then shook her hand and said "Hi!" back. Imagine that?!! A one-year-old getting to shake the newest apostle's hand!


Story Two
[Background - It is quite common for Southerners to choose original nicknames when they become grandparents rather than just being Grandpa ________ and Grandma ________. Owen's parents are known as Grammy and Grampy to their grandkids.]

For months we have been trying to get Miriam to say either Grammy or Grampy, with no such luck. The other night I thought I'd try one more time to get her to say Grampy. She didn't say anything, but rather, gestured the sign for 'grumpy'. Not noticing at first, I kept prodding her to say "Grampy" and she just kept scrunching up her little hand in front of her face. Once I realized what she was doing, I pointed it out to everyone else and we all had a good chuckle. Hopefully Grampy doesn't take it personally and think that Miriam finds him grumpy, because he certainly isn't.