Saturday, April 18, 2009

Dinner Fit For a Fool

I love celebrating holidays and special occasions with family traditions. We started a new one this April Fools' Day that I hope to continue for years to come.

We invited friends over to share all the food and surprised them with this luscious cake for dinner.


Then topped it off with a bowl of spaghetti for dessert.


Yes, you read that right...dessert for dinner and dinner for dessert.

Oh, but don't worry, the "cake" is really round layers of meatloaf with ketchup glaze filling between the layers, "frosted" with mashed potatoes and garnished with cherry tomatoes.

And the "spaghetti"? It's a cake. I baked it in a Pyrex bowl, then transferred it to the fancy white bowl and piped it with lightly yellow tinted buttercream frosting. The "sauce" is strawberry glaze with a couple tablespoons of frosting added to make it opaque and then colored with one drop of green, blue and a couple drops of yellow. This helped remove the candy-apple red color. The "meatballs" are Ferrero Rocher truffles and the "parmesan" is just grated white chocolate.

It made for a fun night full of laughter.

7 comments:

Cutler Family said...

I have to say Haylee, that that is hilarious! I would never even think to do something clever like that. Great April fools idea, I definitely my steal it to play on my kids some day. Thanks for making me laugh!

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Wow, I couldn't even tell! I was like, "Okay, that's creative eating cake for dinner and dinner for dessert," . . but the food looks amazingly real. Now THAT is creative.

roberta said...

This is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Where did you get that idea? I need to try it. What did you do for a decorator. I have a pampered chief one that might work. I have to try this, the grandkids would go nuts. Was it hard?

NOw CONGRATULATIONS On graduating. I love teaching, and I know you will be so glad you have your degree. I need to come see you sometime. Aren't you the little girl that I use to have in my singing group, HAHAA. You can't be a MOM. Love ya, Roberta Lets see it was only about a few years ago we went on that cruise right?

Elise said...

That is soo fun!!! I have been trying to think of fun traditions I want to do with my kids. I am going to have to do this when Dallin starts to appricate it.

The Cook Clan said...

That is funny! You are so creative!!

Lorena said...

What I want to know is when I'm going to be invited over for dinner. Mmm! Looks fun and tasty!

The Riries said...

Oh my gosh, you are amazing! Those both totally looked like the real thing. So fun!