Saturday, May 22, 2010

I Went to the Grocery Store by Myself Tonight...

and I've concluded a few things.
  1. It is weird to go to the store without kids.  It makes me self-conscious; like everyone is looking at me.  I probably get more looks when I'm jabbering away with my two-year-old though.  And since my wedding ring still doesn't fit because my knuckles got fatter this pregnancy (is that normal?) I feel like people look at me and think I'm probably single (ew!) and I do not like that at all.
  2. It might be weird to go without the little ones, but it sure is faster!  And a lot easier too.  I didn't have to grab boxes or bags of food away from anyone (read Miriam)!  Amazing.  
  3. Although it may be easier, it's a little lonely...and weird (refer back to number one).
  4. It is waaaaaaaaay too cold outside for the latter half of May.  It's currently 34 degrees AND it snowed today (double ew!)  I left my coat at my parent's house, so I only had a light jacket* on.
  5. I think next time I go I'll take some company (the kids and maybe Owen too) and go on a warmer day, or at least wear a nice, warm coat.
*Does saying "light jacket" remind anyone else of Miss Congeniality?  Just me?  Oh, never mind then.

4 comments:

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

I LOVE going shopping by myself. So much faster, even though sometimes it is fun to have a little person to stare at you and talk to.

I can't believe it snowed there yesterday. That is too crazy! It's definitely full on summer here and every day is a pool day. It feels like August would in a the "real world." I feel like I'm in a bubble.

Alicia said...

I think it is funny that you feel weird without your kids. I feel that same way when I'm by myself. Naked. Exposed. And it is extremely hard for me to carry on a conversation with anyone if my kids aren't there because...everything I have to talk about relates to my kids! I need to start practicing before my high school reunion in July. Yikes!

Christina said...

Yes, it did remind me of Miss Congeniality. And- I don't enjoy grocery shopping by myself, I'd much rather take Brant AND both my boys. A little odd maybe, but true- And the weather! uGH!

Heather and Josh Wickern said...

Holy cow I totally know what you mean! Chrystina talks about going to the store by herself all the time and it always sounded so nice, until I did it! Maybe my kids are my security blanket or something but, man, I was lonely! It's true though, I only got the things on my list because I wasn't in the aisles so long I noticed things I didn't need but wanted. Strange.