This is Owen's Christmas "surprise". (Yes, he already knows about it -- in fact, he helped make it! I love having a somewhat domestic husband.) He's been asking for a quilt since...well, since I made his last Christmas quilt in 2005 (see picture below) and then staked claim on it for our "headboard". More recently it has become "my" quilt and I use it to keep warm at night.

And, just so you know...No, the bucket did not stay turquoise. I painted it and now it is brown and bronze and very cute and rustic looking. This picture was taken shortly after we moved in and I was trying different ideas for the shelf.
Owen's request was for a rag quilt and I wanted to keep it cheap. I figured a jean quilt would be the perfect answer to solve both since we've had about twenty pair hanging out in a box. So, this past March I set out to find a pattern that wasn't just squares (I have issues with normalcy -- it bores me.) I was lucky and found this - Denim Rag Edge with a Twist. It was perfect! Rag, check. Denim, check. Anything but boring squares, check. Wonderful.
I think it turned out pretty cute, and to carry out my need for originality, I changed three random squares and gave them three stars. See?...
...Ahh, now it says, "Haylee made this."
And, since my mother always taught me that the back of the quilt is almost as important as the front, (The backings on her quilts are rarely one print -- she's known to do borders, checkerboard and even scrappy piecing. She usually says it's because she didn't have enough fabric to have it all be the same, but I know that she secretly just likes to have the back be worth seeing.) here's a glimpse of that too.
I love the backing fabric. It's a brushed cotton (almost flannel-like) and in my opinion is cute, but not too girly...Perfect for my hubby's Christmas quilt.
No comments:
Post a Comment