Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Mother's Dilemma

Sometime, a couple weeks ago, Miriam's forearms and calves suddenly became very dry. They've remained so even after considerable effort to get them moisturized again. Our first go 'round was to be more consistent with baby lotion. We've since tried baby oil, but went back to the lotion after that did little to change anything. I realize her baths could be causing some of the dryness, but I bathe her daily for a couple of reasons. First, it's part of her bedtime routine (who knows what will happen when the routine changes; it's possible that all heck could break loose) and second, she tends to get diaper rash (and super greasy hair -- not a normal baby problem, I know -- poor me) when she's not bathed regularly (in other words, every day).

So, do I let her skin continue to get more and more dry or do I risk having a seriously red, rashed bottom? It doesn't seem to bother her, but I still don't want my poor, little baby to have dry skin or irritation. Any suggestions? What have you tried? What works and what doesn't?

4 comments:

Gina said...

D gets terribly bad eczema on his back, stomach, and the backs of his legs. The only thing that works wonders for him is Eucerin. That stuff is so thick and creamy. It has worked really well for D.

me said...

Thanks! I'll have to try that.

Alicia said...

If it doesn't work take her to the pediatrician and make sure it isn't something more serious.

Cutler Family said...

William has bad eczema and what has worked for him is aquaphor (by eucerin) and hydrocortizone in the bad spots. I lube him up every night before he goes to bed and anytime in between that he needs it.