Friday, January 01, 2010

Chicka Chicka Birthday

Miriam is two now and it seems that with the flip of a switch she's decided to act like a two-year-old too. Oh, joy! She is still very much my sweet little girl, but she is quickly developing an I-will-be-in-control attitude. Patience is definitely a virtue that I will be working to strengthen this coming year.

We celebrated at Grandma and Grandpa's house and had a nice low-key party.

We opened presents...





Grandma gave her clothes and a very cute bed (with a quilt and everything) for her baby-doll. She loves it and has carried it around all day. She could have cared less about the clothes.


The two-second glance at the clothes.


She hasn't opened Grammy and Grampy's gift yet, or even Mom and Dad's because I left them in Rexburg. Oops! Good thing she's only two and doesn't care yet, huh?! She's getting a Leapster, more clothes and a ColorWonder coloring book. We'll have her open the clothes first when we're home in hopes of a better reaction!


Sang the Happy Birthday song...


Miriam blew her candles out all on her own!


And ate cake...




Miriam was so excited about her cake that all day long she was saying "Happy birthday cake" when we'd try to get her to say "Happy birthday." Funny kid! She loved every last crumb too.


After the "party" we put Miriam to bed so the adults could really party and ring in the new year. You know, drink Martinelli's, make quilts and play games...wild and crazy, for sure. We were even dumb enough to stay up till 12:30 playing "Buy" (a family game) and making sure 2010 really came. We had fun, but I sure regretted it come morning and I'm pretty sure everyone else did too.


Oh and here is a close up of the Chicka Chicka Birthday cake. I think it is fun to make a cake the represents something unique about the birthday child in their particular season of life. Since she loves to read books, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom especially, I thought making a cake that looks like the book would be perfect. I'm happy with how it turned out, but the cake decorating process always ends up being stressful for me, so I'm not sure this is a tradition we will continue...we'll see.



3 comments:

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Cute cake, Haylee! You did a really good job.

Happy Birthday to Miri! I cannot believe your baby is two. Miss you!

Alicia said...

You are right, the cake is gorgeous! After talking to you on the phone Emmett announced to us that he wanted a Football birthday next year with a football cake and football balloons. Oh boy!

Danielle said...

love the cake!