Tuesday, May 05, 2009

No More Baby Here

Miriam's nightly routine is very predictable and well...routine. We like it that way. We eat dinner, she takes a bath and plays a little. She gets her teeth brushed, then we read stories, say prayers and I sing primary songs while she nurses. Then it's off to bed and she snuggles up with her bear, her quilt and two pacifiers (yes, two -- one in the mouth and one in her hand...they'll be gone soon). This is what we've done for months and months now. Even before that, (when she was really little) the only parts that were different were no dinner (she nursed right before bed) and no teeth brushing (no teeth to brush). A couple weeks ago, she decided she wanted to change the pattern. No nursing.

She usually asks for milk ('dak' when she says it -- it's a good thing she signs so I actually know what she's saying) right before I put her in her crib, but she didn't. I offered anyway and she squirmed and wiggled and refused. So, I put her in bed without it. I figured she'd eventually start whining and ask for milk. Nope. She fell asleep. The next night, same thing. No milk. It's been two weeks with very sporadic nursing so I suppose it's safe to assume she has weaned herself. Sad day.

Well, I suppose they all have to grow up some time, but I guess I wasn't expecting this so soon.

2 comments:

The Cook Clan said...

How funny! I only lasted 4 months of fighting my kid to nurse. After that I gave up.

Tina Crowther said...

I'm proud of you for keeping that up through student teaching... I would have liked to, but it didn't work. Miriam sure is cute though, you should post some pictures soon